Student Co-Contribution Fees
As a Queensland resident, over the duration of your apprenticeship you will incur fees (payable by instalments) that can amount to approximately $1,700, depending on the qualification you are undertaking and the units on your training plan. However, you might be eligible for an exemption, fee-free training or maybe even a discount.
A full exemption may apply under the following special conditions:
- You are a School-Based Apprentice or Trainee.
- Payment of these fees would cause you extreme financial hardship. In this instance you are to request, in writing, consideration of exemption within 30 days of receiving your invoice.
If you are under 25 years old, from 1/1/2021 you can access fee-free training until completion of your training program if you:
- Commence or recommence in a “high priority” apprenticeship or traineeship from 1/1/2021 to 30/9/2022.
- Are continuing to train in a “high priority” qualification and commence units of competency on or after 1/1/2021.
- Have already accessed the free apprenticeship for under 21s initiative (ie. commenced a “high priority” qualification from 1/7/2019) or Year 12 graduates fee-free training initiative under the User Choice program (ie. commenced a high priority qualification within 12 months of graduating from Year 12 – NB: a copy of your Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE) must be provided to MTAI).
A partial exemption (ie. 60% discount) may apply if you fall into one or more of the exemption categories listed below:
- You have not completed year 12 AND are under 17 at the end of February in the year the Registered Training Organisation (RTO) delivers training. Proof of age is required on enrolment into the program.
- You hold a current health care card or pensioner card issued under Commonwealth law, or are the partner or a dependant of a person who holds a current health care card or pensioner concession card, and are named on the card
- You issue the RTO with an official form under Commonwealth law confirming that you, your partner or the person to whom you are a dependant, is entitled to concessions under a health care card or pensioner concession card
- You have declared on the Training Contract and AVETMISS VET Enrolment Form that you are of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander origin.
Full details of all eligibility requirements will be discussed with you on enrolment with MTA Institute.
For more information visit desbt.qld.gov.au/training/apprentices.