COMMODORE SURVIVAL STILL A POSSIBILITY

The ambition of Belgian entrepreneur Guido Dumarey to keep the Commodore, and the Adelaide factory in which it is built, from being consigned to history has received support from Christopher Pyne, the Federal Minister for Industry, Innovation and Science.

The two men met on Tuesday to discuss plans for the future of Holden’s Elizabeth plant.

Mr Dumarey is reportedly interested in the future export potential of vehicles based on the Zeta rear-wheel drive architecture of the Commodore and has had a number of discussions with officials since the news of his interest became public late last year.

In an interview on Channel 7’s Today Tonight show, Mr Pyne said that he was prepared to offer some assistance to Mr Dumarey and highlighted the Belgian’s successful record of working with General Motors. In 2013, Mr Dumarey’s Punch Corporation took over the GM factory in Strasbourg, France. That business has since expanded its workforce to handle the production of transmissions that are fitted to vehicles including BMWs.

“Mr Dumarey does have a serious proposal,” said Mr Pyne. “He’s done it before with General Motors at Strasbourg in Europe, and I strongly support the efforts he’s putting into working with the South Australian, Victorian and Commonwealth governments. A lot rests with the decisions that General Motors make in Detroit, and I will be writing to the chairman of General Motors, to the senior executive members there, encouraging them to have a very open mind to Punch Corporation’s proposal.”

Mr Dumarey is due to meet South Australia Premier Jay Weatherill today for further discussions.